Saturday, March 29, 2008

Dogs - A series of Drawings

I am learning to draw. I am having a lot of fun doing it too! I am going to post a series of my first drawings here and invite people to critique them by posting their comments. I would love critiques not only by experienced drawers on technique issues but just peoples´ feelings in general about what emotions or ideas the drawing inspires in them as an individual. I will not be offended by honest opinions. Here is the first drawing in "dog study series". It is my Mexican Hairless dog, Fettuccine, sleeping on my unmade bed. You can click on the drawing to get an extreme closeup if you would like to critique the detail. Also you can read the posts that others have left. I expect that there will be about 7 or 8 drawings in total in the series and I will try to post at least one drawing per week. Thanks for taking the time to visit!

9 comments:

PetitPoix said...

I will begin by critiquing myself. I would like to learn how to better make the unmade bed sheets "flow" they look a bit stiff in my opinion.

Robin Clare said...

I really like the way you've handled the dog. As for more natural bed sheets it just takes practice. I find that by going in with shading and using an eraser to put in the highlights works well. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great job for your first time....if you can find books on drawing, they will really help you with shading and blending techniques. Keep practicing!

DJ said...

I think you doing great, the dogs position is a difficult one and she looks like she is comfortable sleeping.

Anonymous said...

The line quality of the drawing is great! And you nailed the proportion, which is difficult.

To make the fabric "flow" better, soften up your values. Take a stomp or soft paper towel and gently smudge them together, in the same direction that you originally shaded.

femputer said...

I like the way the dog doesn't have much shading. He pops off the page and looks expressive.

Anonymous said...

Not being someone who has artistic talent myself, I really envy what you have done here, on your first try nonetheless! I think you nailed the facial expression of a sleeping dog and I love the curl of the body. I see what you mean about the flow of the sheets, but it almost seems like the sheets have taken on the angular quality of the dog's body. Can't wait to see the next in the series.

Anonymous said...

I think you did really good for a beginner. There are great drawing video tutorials on youtube. Just goodle "learn to draw video"
Good luck and can't wait to see more of your work!

Bridget Farmer said...

Hi there, I really like this drawing, I can often be quite critical, but you have achieved a beautifully honest, simple drawing of your dog which can be difficult to do. You've really captured him, his weight and the atmosphere perfectly. I am mostly a line drawer myself, I find it quite impossible to do shading! So I will comment on your lines.
They are good strong lines, drawn with a belief in you ability, no feathery, sketchy "oh is this right, no ,um maybe, I'm scared!" lines! I especially like the line of the back leg haunch. and the lines of his face and mouth are strong yet delicate, really capturing the sense of a sleeping dog.
I used to find drawing with my left hand (i am right handed) helped me a great deal, it loosens me up, makes me not so worried about getting the perfect drawing. after all it's all practice!
I can't wait to see what you do in the future! good luck.